I'm trying to determine a better word to describe a role for an entity that checks for uniqueness between two objects.

For example: if I wanted to check for duplicate records in an excel spreadsheet, is there a single non-compound word to describe the tool which executes that action.

Right now we are going with "DuplicateChecker", but it feels a bit ... unrefined.

  • The uppercase 'C' in "DuplicateChecker" sure looks unrefined to me. I'd accept almost anything except that ... lowercase, space, hyphen, ,,, – Ross Murray Jan 30 '18 at 21:13
  • 2
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because choosing names for things is specifically off-topic according to our help center. – tchrist Jan 30 '18 at 21:50
  • 1
    @Ealianis Because our Help Center says that questions regarding “Naming, including naming programming variables/classes” are off-topic. You didn’t like DuplicateChecker so asked for a better name. This is a programming question. – tchrist Jan 30 '18 at 21:56
  • 1
    @Ealianis Humility is a virtue, so I'll reopen it for you. Can't speak for the broader community, though, who may see things differently here. – tchrist Jan 30 '18 at 22:09
  • 1
    @tchrist You are an admin for a reason, I trust your judgment, I just wanted to voice my perspective on the issue at hand (the validity of my post). Thank you for being kind, I will close it in two days if no answer is found. It doesn't appear that there is a word that fits within the constraints I've set. For context: there is a standard in which we are to utilize nouns, e.g. Auditor, Manager, Logger, Enforcer, etc.. That is my argument for it not being a programming question. Again, thank you for your help. – Sean Hobbs Jan 30 '18 at 22:25

How about "comparator"? It's used a lot more often in electronics than every day life, but I've heard it make it's way into other discussions now and that's what it means.

com·par·a·tor kəmˈperədər/ noun noun: comparator; plural noun: comparators

a device for comparing a measurable property or thing with a reference or standard.
    an electronic circuit for comparing two electrical signals.
    something used as a standard for comparison.
| improve this answer | |
  • Another similar term is "differentiator". – Hot Licks Jan 30 '18 at 23:18
  • You need to cite what source that definition comes from. – Laurel Jan 31 '18 at 3:16

I admit this is jargony, but I have encountered dedupe in two unrelated settings as a verb for the process of removing duplicates.

It turns out it has at least two online dictionary definitions

So "deduper" would not be wrong, even though it looks ... unrefined.

| improve this answer | |
  • A deduplicator/deduper removes duplicates, but OP is asking for something that finds duplicates. – Mark Beadles Jan 30 '18 at 22:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.