Is there a universally recognized term for a sequence like "take care of"? It's not a verb phrase, but it doesn't seem to be a verb group in the sense of M. A. K. Halliday's framework, either.

What exactly is it called?

I'd appreciate your help.

  • It is a phrasal verb. – Arnav Borborah Jan 29 '18 at 13:10
  • No, it isn't. A phrasal verb consists of a verb and a particle. – Apollyon Jan 29 '18 at 13:10
  • The of is a preposition which indicates to me that the "sequence" is merely a fragment. – Andrew Leach Jan 29 '18 at 13:15
  • 1
    Isn't a phrasal verb defined as "an idiomatic phrase consisting of a verb and another element, typically either an adverb, as in break down, or a preposition, for example see to, or a combination of both, such as look down on"? Isn't the phrase look down on similar to take care of? – Arnav Borborah Jan 29 '18 at 13:16
  • "Care" is neither a preposition nor an adverb. – Apollyon Jan 29 '18 at 13:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.