This might be a bit pedantic but just working on a translation at the moment and it got me wondering if there is any specific word for alcohol(ic) belching/burps?

Searching only gives results like:

  • burping and alcohol
  • belching and alcohol

In Chinese there is the word 酒嗝 which literally means alcohol burp.

Is there an equivalent in English?

I guess it would more likely be a beer burp more than anything else, as there isn't often belching from Wine or spirits.

  • 2
    The obvious portmanteau would be beerp (beer + burp). It’s not something I’ve ever thought of as a thing, really, but beerp is actually on UrbanDictionary, so I’m not the first to think of it either, it would seem. Jan 29, 2018 at 12:00
  • 1
    @Janus if this is about beer, then the burps are all about the carbonation and nothing to do with alcohol.
    – Spencer
    Jan 29, 2018 at 12:11
  • Boozurp (portmanteau from booze and burp).
    – ermanen
    Jan 29, 2018 at 18:33
  • Im getting whiplash from my burps
    – K Dog
    Jan 31, 2018 at 18:41
  • 1
    portmanteau from eructation and alcohol = err ... nothing.
    – lbf
    Feb 17, 2018 at 19:45

1 Answer 1


No, not that I can find in English. Google translates your word 酒嗝 to "wine burp" as well. In English, it is implied that a burp or belch is from food or drink and is usually specified before the word. Like, "that beer is making me burp", or "I am burping from that soda".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.