Looking for a word that describes a person who disliked other humans.A misogynist hates women, what do we call someone who dislikes people in general?

  • 1
    Welcome to EL&U. I strongly recommend you take the site tour and review the help center for guidance on writing strong questions, and in particular our guidance for single word requests.
    – choster
    Commented Jan 25, 2018 at 20:31

1 Answer 1


The word you are looking for is misanthropist or misanthrope. Dictionary.com gives your definition directly; Oxford and Merriam-Webster link the word to misanthrope.

  • Thank you so much. It was blocked from consciousness for days. Commented Jan 25, 2018 at 20:33
  • If this solves your issue, please accept the answer by clicking the checkmark under the voting arrows. You get a slight boost in reputation from it, and it shows that the answer was satisfactory and useful to you. (It also gives me a boost in reputation, which is nice, but not the primary reason for accepting answers.) Commented Jan 26, 2018 at 12:25

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.