I want to express that I need to use a new record to replace the original one. For example, after we have re-edited the writing, we might want to save it so that it could replace the original draft. I am wondering if the following expression is correct in a formal letter.

I would like to cover up my old record with the updated one.

Because cover up might seen with the meaning of covering something not good purposefully.

  • Yes, it sounds shifty.
    – Lawrence
    Jan 17, 2018 at 7:32
  • Thx Dear @Lawrence. So what do you suggest I should use here?
    – exteral
    Jan 17, 2018 at 7:42
  • Consider replace.
    – Lawrence
    Jan 17, 2018 at 8:01
  • What's wrong with simply saying replace?
    – tchrist
    Jan 17, 2018 at 8:56

1 Answer 1


I think you need the term 'overwrite'. That's the normal term used in computing for replacing an old record with the new one. The old record is 'overwritten' by the new one - so it no longer exists, in its old form - the new one has erased it and taken its place.

  • Good. That’s what I want. Thx Jelila
    – exteral
    Jan 17, 2018 at 11:08
  • Great! @exteralvictor 😊
    – Jelila
    Jan 17, 2018 at 12:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.