For example, "The new English test is better but harder to achieve." I need to change the phrase (marked in bold) in the sentence above to a single word. what word will fit? Any help is appreciated.

Edit: To clarify for those asking, I need to shorten this phrase as I have a word limit on a paper I'm writing.

  • I’m not sure there is a single word. Why can’t you use multiple words? – Dan Bron Jan 14 '18 at 18:24
  • Why do you "need to change" that long phrase into just one word? – tchrist Jan 14 '18 at 19:59
  • 1
    A test can't be achieved, though a mark/grade on a test can be. – KarlG Jan 14 '18 at 20:22
  • If want just one word, the term is "single word". "Singular" means not plural, or unique. – Acccumulation Jan 14 '18 at 22:04

There's no word that clearly communicates both of those means, but "rigorous" comes close.

  • Thank you for your answer. If there is no other word that fits, "rigorous" should work well. also, thanks for the word correction. I've fixed it now. – cat-user27 Jan 15 '18 at 2:43
  • Note that you would have to say more rigorous to get the comparative sense of your original phrase. – 1006a Jan 15 '18 at 7:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.