Is there a specific term or designation for the act of adding an adjective to something?

"The act of adding an adjective" could generally be called an "edit". However, the question is whether a term exists specifically for this use of an adjective.

  • 3
    You might use 'modify' or 'qualify' on occasion, but it takes a bit of thought to ascertain what's being modified by 'mere' in 'He's a mere youth'. And there are other modifiers. – Edwin Ashworth Jan 13 '18 at 19:18
  • Would "the act of adding an adjective" be called editing? – Weather Vane Jan 13 '18 at 21:11
  • 2
    There are no words for adding one of any particular part of speech. This is not anything linguists feel the need for. – John Lawler Jan 13 '18 at 22:15
  • What @JohnLawler said. That said, you might say that adding an adjective qualifies its target. – Drew Jan 14 '18 at 1:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.