enter image description hereIn art, what do we call a painting within a painting being painted by a painter painting the painting who is also painting himself?

I mean sth like this picture:

  • In literature it's known as self-reflexive. – Hot Licks Jan 13 '18 at 20:38

The usual name is the Droste effect:

the effect of a picture recursively appearing within itself

  • I love the Addams cartoon set in the barber-shop with parallel mirrors giving multiple reflections of the man in the chair. With image number 5 rather incongruous. – Edwin Ashworth Jan 13 '18 at 14:57
  • I added a picture. Please look at the picture inwhich the painter is painting himself while he is painting a painting of himself. – user213464 Jan 17 '18 at 7:04
  • its still Drosteian, recursive or fractalian - the basic idea is the same! – JMP Jan 18 '18 at 10:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.