Is there a name for the kind of wifi network that is open (doesn't have WEP or WPA protection or whatever; you can connect to it freely), but which requires you to log in (through a local web page) before you can use the internet?

This is the kind of set-up used in a lot of airports, cafés, and on my company's "guest" wifi network (for visitors).

Is there a short name for it?

2 Answers 2


"Captive portal" means precisely this.


Is Hotspot the word you're looking for?

  • A hotspot may or may not be open and may or may not require you to log in. Commented Sep 20, 2011 at 11:11
  • Hotspot is good, but it's usually the general term for open networks that are either free or commercial, with or without a login.
    – Hugo
    Commented Sep 20, 2011 at 11:12

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.