What's the word for the unintelligible sound people make when they have their mouth covered? For example someone who is being held as a hostage with a cloth gagged(?) around their mouth, and they're trying to say something.

I have the term

'muffled' voice,

but I'm not sure if that's accurate enough.


closed as off-topic by Scott, alwayslearning, Nigel J, oerkelens, AmE speaker Jan 6 '18 at 23:21

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests" – Scott, alwayslearning, Nigel J, oerkelens
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Muffled works. Was there something you found unsatisfactory with the term? – Lawrence Jan 6 '18 at 14:01

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.