This question already has an answer here:

When we state that something belongs to a university, for instance requirements, we should use university's requirements or requirements of the university?

I remember learning like a thing that belongs to a non-living thing should be written as something of something instead of something's something. However, I see usage of university's something all over the place.

Pardon for the number of "something" in my questions.

marked as duplicate by Edwin Ashworth, Community Jan 3 '18 at 1:27

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    I have never heard of any rule which prohibits the use of the possessive case with inanimate or abstract nouns. My car's windscreen wipers got a lot of use today, and my computer's keyboard is starting to give trouble. I see nothing whatever wrong with saying "The University's entrance requirements have been relaxed". – WS2 Jan 2 '18 at 23:29
  • Possible duplicate of Saxon genitive usage question. There is additional comment at What is a Norman genitive. – Edwin Ashworth Jan 3 '18 at 0:15
  • And perhaps the fullest discussion at Apostrophe-s vs of. – Edwin Ashworth Jan 3 '18 at 0:21

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.