The document I'm translating, a warehouse specification, stipulates that the warehouse's acceptance-and-shipping room should have this kind of gate (door?)

enter image description here

In Russian, it's called "подъемно-секционные ворота". I googled this phrase and found the image attached above.

The Multitran dictionary offers "vertical lift folding gate" as a translation, but I'm unsure. How are such gates (or is it "doors"?) called in English?

  • 1
    See Wikipedia's page for garage doors, particularly the sections for sectional and roller doors. – Davo Dec 28 '17 at 19:53
  • @Davo - thank you! It's clearly overhead sectional door. – CowperKettle Dec 28 '17 at 20:00
  • Most folks in the US would call it a garage door. – Hot Licks Dec 28 '17 at 20:52
  • @HotLicks same in U.K. regarding garage door – k1eran Dec 28 '17 at 22:32

Roller shutter:

A roller shutter, roller door or sectional overhead door is a type of door or window shutter consisting of many horizontal slats (or sometimes bars or web systems) hinged together.

Roller shutters have many applications, including doors for vans, garages, etc.


| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you! "Overhead sectional door" clearly fits the bill, as Google Image shows. – CowperKettle Dec 28 '17 at 20:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.