Is there a word that means "the word looks like the object it describes"?

For example: "bed" looks a bit like a bed, with the b and the d acting as head and foot boards, with the e as the mattress. "Shark" Looks a bit like a shark, with the capital S looking like the tail fin and the k looking like the mouth.

  • 2
    Well, what's the visual equivalent of 'onomatopoeia'? – user362 Sep 19 '11 at 13:21

It is a type of iconicity.

The Wikipedia entry for iconicity currently begins:

In functional-cognitive linguistics, as well as in semiotics, iconicity is the conceived similarity or analogy between the form of a sign (linguistic or otherwise) and its meaning, as opposed to arbitrariness.


I think it is a particular type of autological word, but I haven't come across a discussion of this type before, so I don't know a word for it.

  • 1
    Likely considered a "self-autologlyph." While autologlyphs normally are in regards to art made to reflect the words, the fact these words inherently reflect their meaning is the reason why I would think they qualify. – Sora Tamashii Oct 24 '18 at 3:14

protected by user140086 Dec 1 '16 at 8:31

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.