Dirt road with a hillNarrow road with a dip

I already did some research on google regarding this, but it doesn't seem to suit my expectations. I searched with the term "curved road", but it appears that it's just a road with a turning. I'm a bit confused about this.

The photos I have attached here are a dome-like road (white car) and bowl-like road photo (cycling man). Literally, I can't specify the exact shape of these two roads, but this is how they are alike.

  • Can you provide an image of the kind of street you are asking about? A road is usually thought of as two-dimensional, so I don't understand how it could be like a dome or bowl. Perhaps you are thinking of a cul-de-sac? – choster Dec 23 '17 at 5:04
  • I already added a bowl-like road photo( cycling man) and dome-like road (white car) – RioBeginner Dec 23 '17 at 5:10
  • 1
    The first shows an uphill section (from the point of view of the drivers of these cars), the second a dip (from any perspective). I'd avoid 'acclivity' and 'declivity'. – Edwin Ashworth Dec 23 '17 at 8:22
  • 1
    Broadly, you seem to be trying to describe convex and concave slopes. What would that leave unclear, please? No word could ever be used to refer to both dome-like and bowl-like streets, unless it were an non-specific term such as sloping which seems fairly clearly not to be what you want. In two dimensions, the road simply goes where it goes… north or south, east or west. In 3D, it also goes up or down. The difference is immense. – Robbie Goodwin Dec 25 '17 at 1:24
  • 1
    Are you looking for technical descriptions, such as a highway engineer would use, or "everyday" descriptions such as any regular person would use? – AndyT Feb 9 '18 at 16:36

Your distinction twixt "dome" and "bowl" depends solely upon which way one is travelling. They're both just hills.

| improve this answer | |

The west coast, (i.e.) San Francisco, CA, may have their own words, but on the edge where the sun rises we would say:

"The crest (high part) and the dip (low part) of a hilly road." (US)

| improve this answer | |

The word “undulating” applies to both, although I think you want an adjective for each type.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.