I want to describe the movement that a person sits up from a lying-down position, pivoting on his/her hip, and the upper body is sort of drawing a half circle in the air.

I know there exists “pivot around”, but I don’t think that’s exactly what I’m looking for.

Can I say “pivot up”? Does it exist or what do you suggest to use to describe that movement?

I searched around the Internet and didn’t see much information about “pivot up”...

Hope someone can help. Cheers. (:

1 Answer 1


Yes, you can say that. Pivoting is always around some position or axis, but you can use various words to indicate the direction of rotation: up, left, clockwise... Think of "pivot" as "rotate".

Verb: pivot pi-vut

Turn on a pivot

  • swivel

Noun: pivot pi-vut

  1. The person in a rank around whom the others wheel and manoeuvre

    • pivot man
  2. Axis consisting of a short shaft that supports something that turns

    • pin
  3. The act of turning on (or as if on) a pivot

    "the golfer went to the driving range to practice his pivot"

-- WordWeb

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.