Possible Duplicate:
Pronunciation of GUI in British English

The question is in the title. How do you pronounce the word "GUI"? (Graphical User Interface). Some of my colleagues call it "Guy". Others pronounce it like the "gui" in "Penguin".

I myself take the second approach, but that others take the first approach confuses me.

marked as duplicate by PLL, Daniel, z7sg Ѫ, Alenanno, simchona Sep 16 '11 at 23:08

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


There are two common pronunciations:

  • Gooey, with a hard G, and

  • G-U-I

  • 5
    These are both correct in "programming circles." – Evan Cordell Sep 16 '11 at 22:26
  • 1
    Thanks. But how do you pronounce "Gooey" ? – Johannes Schaub - litb Sep 17 '11 at 10:17
  • gü-ē -- merriam-webster.com/…\-%C4%93\ – xpda Sep 17 '11 at 14:11
  • I am a coder and all-around computer geek. I prefer G-U-I, but use and hear Gooey (gü-ē) a lot. – TecBrat Dec 18 '12 at 9:31

A programmer friend of mine pronounces it "gooey".

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.