This is my first post and I was wondering what do you call someone who studies Russia For a living like has an academic researcher or Scholar. A sentence would be I work has a -word-. Thanks in advance for any and all help.


2 Answers 2


The word Russologist is used to refer to persons who are experts on Russia.


Stanford's most accomplished Russologist returns home, to cheers (...)

I took McFaul's Russian Politics class back in 1996/1997, when he was still a rising Russologist.

(...)Rice = Sovietologist (her PhD was actually on Czechoslovakia, but her subsequent specialization came studying the Soviet Union.) Mike McFaul = Russologist (his research has concentrated on the post-Soviet Union collapse, and specifically the transition from Communism to what he hoped would be a liberal democracy (...)

Source: www.thecardboard.org

Poet, translator and russologist Dr. Sajal Dey hails from Kolkata, West Bengal.

Source: https://milaplitfest.com/sajal-dey/

A distinguished Russologist, Jiri Valenta is a former consultant to the Reagan administration and among the few members (...)

Source: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/20646

Most foreign observers who knew Russia well (...) shared the belief that Russia was not doomed to perdition. They included Otto Hoetzsch, the leading German Russologist of his generation, (...)

Source: google books

More examples of use online: https://www.google.co.in/search?q=russologist

  • 1
    Ah, for the good old days. Sovietologist and Kremlinologist are slight more euphonious to my ears than Russologist. Dec 1, 2017 at 3:06
  • I suppose the word 'Russologist' gained (or regained) prominence after the collapse of the Soviet Union, @James McLeod. Dec 1, 2017 at 3:09
  • Yeah but, does anybody say that? It also seems to be slanted towards politics? Why not just historian or sociologist? They're experts on all things Russian? There's only one man who's that good, but he doesn't always drink Dos Equis... a made up word from 1997? Is there Americanoligy? Americanolgists? ...
    – Mazura
    Dec 1, 2017 at 22:56
  • Very true @Mazura: it does seem slanted towards political studies. Maybe specialisation on one country in one field of knowledge is not even ideal? However I was mainly establishing that the word "Russologist" is actually being used to describe the 'Russia expert' and learned a new word in the process of answering OP's question! According to the answer by 1006a, the word 'Americanist' is used to describe a scholar (often political scientist) whose speciality is the USA. Dec 1, 2017 at 23:37

The term I have heard in academia in the US is Russianist, which Wiktionary defines as

A person who studies Russian language, culture or history.

Oxford Dictionaries offers the example sentence

‘The book is nothing less than "a celebration of personality," to cite the apt formulation of the distinguished Russianist John B. Dunlop.’

Presumably this was chosen to parallel the somewhat more common term Americanist, used for scholars (often political scientists) who study the US specifically.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.