The Wall Street Journal usually has a quirky article on the bottom of the front page, on anything from paper clips to tugboat racing to borscht manufacturers. Their name for it is an A-hed. Is there a generic term for this? (I've seen a similar concept in other papers, on a less regular basis)

closed as too localized by T.E.D., Daniel, Matt E. Эллен, simchona, z7sg Ѫ Sep 16 '11 at 13:11

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • A generic term for a funny/exotic story? Or for the quirky story on the front page? – Chad Sep 15 '11 at 17:30
  • To be more specific, I would say: quirky article published by mainstream newsmedia, often with a specific location in print media. – Jason S Sep 15 '11 at 17:42

WSJ claims to have invented both the term and the technique, but you could call it a "general interest column". Or perhaps the "writers column" or "editors column". Some people simply describe it as a "middle column", but I don't know if that term describes the page formatting or the content of the A-hed.

Also, it's worth noting that "hed" is shorthand for headline.

  • I think you covered all three key parts: the WSJ created that particular version, the broader version is called a "general interest column", and that "A-hed" is a headline on the first (A) page. +1! – Charles Sep 16 '11 at 6:32
  • The term is probably true but I do have a few papers from the 1800's that have these human interest features as well. So I doubt that the WSJ actually invented the technique. – Chad Sep 16 '11 at 15:52
  • I disagree that this question should be closed (appealing to readers of the WSJ is a pretty large basis). Here is a great article that mentions the origin of the "A" in "A-hed" (the shape of the headline): cjr.org/the_audit/a_quality_barometer_for_the_wa.php – Thomas Jan 7 '17 at 14:10

The term would be a Feature.

Generically it could also be called a Column


The term I would use to describe such a story is pot pourri, as it can refer to a variety of similar object collected together.

  • Why pot-pourri? What does an A-hed have in common with a fragrant collection of flowers? – Eldroß Sep 16 '11 at 12:08
  • 1
    @Eldross: Pot pourri can refer to a collection of THINGS as well as flowers. (At least it did on an American TV show called Jeopardy. – Tom Au Sep 16 '11 at 12:52
  • I took the liberty of editing this info into your answer. Feel free to reverse, or change further if you are not pleased with my change. – Eldroß Sep 16 '11 at 12:58

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.