"In architecture, an atrium (plural: atria or atriums) is a large open air or skylight covered space surrounded by a building."

"Skylight = an opening in a roof or ceiling, fitted with glass, for admitting daylight"

How would you call very small open space inside the building which purpose is to provide some skylight?

(Note: it's open so it doesn't fit well into definition of skylight, while it is small so it doesn't fit well into the definition of atrium).


First, a skylight can be glass or open (as in the Pantheon):

enter image description here

Secondly, a skylight is only the opening/window itself, not the space/area below. So are you looking for a name for the opening, or for the space below (possibly including the opening)?

You may be looking for the term light well or air shaft, which is a narrow, high shaft built to allow light to enter from the top (the sun) and illuminate rooms adjacent to it:

enter image description here

An atrium is normally a larger area or hall, mostly covered by a roof or ceiling, with light coming in from a skylight/opening:

enter image description here

  • I'm looking for the name of a space below including the opening. It seems "lightwell, light well and air shaft" are it. Many thanks – Mladen Adamovic Nov 23 '17 at 9:14
  • @MladenAdamovic: Yes, that sounds appropriate. – Cerberus_Reinstate_Monica Nov 24 '17 at 14:36

Patio - a roofless inner courtyard open to the sky (from Spanish, OED).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.