Lets say you are writing a book, making a cardboard game or composing a music.

After a while you are so invested into your creation and know it so well from inside and out. You can no longer see the major flaws in the design or errors you made. And only way is to get a feedback from other people who can give you a fresh perspective.

Is there a term for this "author's blindness"?

  • Writer's blindspot, perhaps, but I cannot find a citation. – Mick Nov 19 '17 at 9:24

You are too close and need to step back to get some perspective.

step back
2. To withdraw from something, especially to consider it from a wider perspective: Let's step back from the project for a moment and admire all that we have accomplished. Rather than arguing about every detail, they should step back and determine what is really important.
The American HeritageĀ® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.