Sorry if the title isn't clear. Some keyboards will put a pit/valley thing on certain keys to put some extra space between the key and its neighbor. A common one is on Caps lock, presumably so you don't accidentally press it when you want to press "A". I think I have also seen it on the "Enter" key. Is there a word for this type of key, or the characteristic?

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • There's no extra space there on my keyboard.
    – Hot Licks
    Nov 18, 2017 at 22:46
  • I suppose you might say "irregular profile" or "irregularly shaped".
    – Hot Licks
    Nov 18, 2017 at 22:47
  • @HotLicks the 2nd photo is from my own keyboard (first is a stock photo) and its only on 1 of my many keyboards. I think its more common on older keyboards with taller keys, newer keyboards have shorter keys so its not feasible to make the valley
    – chiliNUT
    Nov 18, 2017 at 23:38
  • mechanical keyboards still have taller keys, so I think you typically only see it on certain mechanical keyboards, or the other variant, buckling spring keyboards (thats what the 2nd photo is)
    – chiliNUT
    Nov 18, 2017 at 23:40

1 Answer 1


From reading https://deskthority.net/wiki/Caps_lock the term step seems promising, so perhaps stepped keycaps or keycaps with a step?

I don't know how "official" the term is but that website has an amazing amount of information on keyboards and keycaps and seems as authoritative as I can find. keysboard

And from same page ...

It usually occupies a prominent place between Tab, Shift and A, and is easily engaged by mistake when reaching for A. To avoid this mistake, many keyboards have a stepped caps lock keycap that places a gap between caps lock and the adjacent letter key.

  • 1
    Makes sense! It looks like a little stair step. The provided link was helpful as well
    – chiliNUT
    Nov 19, 2017 at 1:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.