I'm translating a text about a warehousing system inside a company. There is a window inside the warehouse through which the person (say, from a production department) may collect the goods and/or materials kitted on his order (see "order picking"), and then go and use these in his production department.

What do I call this window? In Russian it is the "hand-over window" (окно выдачи). Or "hand-out window".

The conveyors are equipped with the necessary quantity of geared motors, chains, rollers, bearings, photoelectric retro-reflective sensors, circuit breakers, thermal switches etc. to ensure the safe transportation of items in pallets or in boxes loaded on pallets to the hand-over window.

  • do you mean "knitted goods"? Is it a window or a platform? Loading platform or loading dock come to mind. Window in English implies a hole in the wall of a building or a partition. Delivery window, if it is indeed a window.
    – Lambie
    Commented Nov 18, 2017 at 17:30
  • 1
    @Lambie - "kitted" or "collated" goods - it's when different inventory items are taken from different parts of the warehouse and bundled into a... kit (?) which is handed over to the worker. I found that "kitting" is a term used in the warehousing business. Commented Nov 18, 2017 at 17:49
  • 1
    In Britain I think it would be the "stores collection window", or "the stores pick-up window". Americans don't use "stores" in quite this way. They are more inclined to talk about the "warehouse". In Britain a "warehouse" usually suggests a separate building, or very large facility.
    – WS2
    Commented Nov 18, 2017 at 18:08
  • @WS2 - thank you! I like "pick-up window". Commented Nov 18, 2017 at 18:16
  • 1
    It's just a window, counter, or booth. An adjective, usually referring to its specific purpose, specifies it: complaint window, ticket booth, pickup counter, etc.
    – Drew
    Commented Nov 19, 2017 at 4:14

4 Answers 4


A fellow translator told me of the term goods issue used in warehousing, and I think that this "window" may be called goods issue point or goods issue hall or goods issue window:

From "Logistic Core Operations with SAP: Inventory Management, Warehousing" by Jens Kappauf, Bernd Lauterbach, Matthias Koch (Google Books link):

enter image description here


"Supply" is often used in processes where goods are given out. A point or place like the window in your example, or a desk is also called counter. So, you could call it supply-counter or supply counter window.

  • Or supply-point.
    – Mick
    Commented Nov 18, 2017 at 18:55

I am certain that 'hand-over window' is a local term within a single company and there exists no widely used equivalent, generally, in industry.

Every sizeable company I can think of that I have ever known or have ever dealt with has a 'Goods In' and a 'Goods Out'. Raw materials in and finished product out. This is not an internal matter but the In/Out relates to In and Out regarding the outside world beyond the company premises.

But companies and their functions - and the individual ways in which companies organise themselves - are so hugely varied that there exists, to my knowledge and as far as I have scoured the internet, no commonly used term of the kind that is being sought.

  • "Goods out" is from the factory to customers, not for internel use? Commented Nov 18, 2017 at 20:33
  • @WeatherVane Just edited to make it clearer.
    – Nigel J
    Commented Nov 18, 2017 at 20:35
  • OP made it clear that a hand-over window is a translation from the Russian term in use, if that is "local" ;) Commented Nov 18, 2017 at 20:44
  • @WeatherVane Yes, but it is translated 'inside a company'. My understanding is that the OP has translated the document of a single company and my understanding is that the methodology relates to that single company.It is that single company's word for what that single company has set up within their own company. That is what I mean by 'local'.
    – Nigel J
    Commented Nov 19, 2017 at 2:17

A window does not describe a location where a pallet may be handed over.

I suggest stores which is a managed repository of goods for internal use.

Get your equipment from the stores.

In the military, the person in charge of such stores is called a quartermaster.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.