I am looking for expressions/idioms to describe:

1) A person who betrays an agreement to sell something to you. Especially because he got a better offer and sold it to someone else instead.

2) The act of doing that. (Would ‘blowing off’ be one?)


2 Answers 2


To fail to keep an agreement or to back out of an arranged deal is to 'renege'. Someone who behaves in this way is a 'reneger'.

Renege v : a. Chiefly U.S. To change one's mind; to go back on a promise, undertaking, or contract.


Tram firm reneged on ‘gentleman’s agreement’ it’s claimed

The Scotsman

Reneger : 3. orig. and chiefly U.S. A person who goes back on a promise, contract, etc.; esp. a person who does this frequently.



In British English this is unfortuately common in the property market and is known as gazumping.

And again specific to British English, but "blowing off" almost always means farting :-)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.