What is it called when people pronounce their "t" sounds so sharply that it sounds like the sound "eh" comes after the "t" sound? So the "t" sound sounds like "teh" with a big emphasis on the "eh" sound?

Example: smart-eh


It is called a plosive:

plosive [noun]

A consonant that is produced by stopping the airflow using the lips, teeth, or palate, followed by a sudden release of air. The basic plosives in English are t, k, and p (voiceless) and d, g, and b (voiced).

Cambridge Dictionary

| improve this answer | |
  • This describes the usual pronunciation. – Edwin Ashworth Nov 15 '17 at 21:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.