I'm looking for a verb that describes adopting a name specifically when a spouse takes their partner's surname. I feel like there should be a word for it.

When they married, Kate ____, but after the divorce, she retook her maiden name.

I've tried looking for this word on Onelook, Google, and Wikipedia without any luck. In the case that it doesn't exist, can anyone think of a neologism or portmanteau that could equate the meaning of adopting or taking a spouse's name?

  • 5
    I don't think so. You just take your spouse's name.
    – Mick
    Nov 11, 2017 at 19:15
  • Kate surnamed herself.
    – Nigel J
    Nov 11, 2017 at 19:28
  • Kate capitulated Jan 5, 2018 at 3:47
  • Kate effaced herself.
    – ab2
    Feb 4, 2018 at 6:34

1 Answer 1


I don't think an English word exists, but since you suggested a neologism, how about nomified after the Latin nomine for "name"?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.