Sometimes rough surfaces are turned to smooth surfaces by adding material. For example, adding lacquer to wood. Any word for this process or its result?

  • I suspect there is no such term, partly because successfully adding lacquer to wood largely depends on the wood being smooth in the first place. Can you describe your process with other media than wood or lacquer, please? Metal, for instance? Plaster? China? Commented Nov 8, 2017 at 22:43
  • Of course, if your process would not be comparable to but rather, necessary to facilitate adding lacquer to wood, you might mean filling, for which we buy specially made filler. Commented Nov 18, 2017 at 18:45

2 Answers 2


The verb is "to finish":

finish, verb

complete the manufacture or decoration of (a material, object, or place) by giving it an attractive surface appearance. "the interior was finished with V-jointed American oak" synonyms: varnish, lacquer, veneer, coat, stain, wax, shellac, enamel, glaze "some items were finished in a black lacquer"

finish is also a noun, referring to the end result of the process of finishing.


The only word I can think of for the result is "smoothed".

  • Sorry, Llcoolerj, and smoothing necessarily means not adding but removing. Commented Nov 8, 2017 at 22:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.