I know I learned this word in high school during one of Mr. Byrd's history classes. It has been over a decade since then and now I can't recall what it was.

I distinctly remember that we were learning about the historical governing practices of villages and small communities. There was a name for the informal morning congregation that was common among elders, generals and community leaders. We learned that people of influence would often meet in the morning to discuss current events and politics. These meetings would at times undermine the official means of governance within the community. I remember this clearly because there was a cafe in our small town where this exact thing was still occurring but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else? I tried googling it but there are simply to many websites of young people complaining about old people crowding out McDonalds to find anything useful. Thanks in advance for your help

*edit This is a word for the place but only because the place is used for the "for the informal morning congregation".

closed as unclear what you're asking by AmE speaker, MetaEd Nov 3 '17 at 17:25

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    Since you specifically mention generals, it sounds as though you are looking for something very specific to a particular culture... so where and when are you talking about? – Spagirl Nov 3 '17 at 15:29
  • 1
    Title says "word for a place", body says "name for the informal morning congregation". Is this a word for both the place and the meeting? – MetaEd Nov 3 '17 at 15:34
  • 1
    Is this specific to American villages? – MetaEd Nov 3 '17 at 15:35
  • 1
    Mr. Byrd taught US Government and Civics in a rural mid-American high-school. – Kenneth Moore Nov 3 '17 at 16:02
  • 1
    Requests to help you remember something you’ve forgotten are off topic. This is what we call a "guessing game" question. They're not a good fit for the site – or, to my knowledge, any SE site. See: Let’s Play The Guessing Game – Stack Overflow Blog – MetaEd Nov 3 '17 at 17:24

How about a "moot"? Or is that word older than what you had in mind?

From Merriam Webster:

a deliberative assembly primarily for the administration of justice
especially : one held by the freemen of an Anglo-Saxon community


Could you be thinking of a common or commons?




5 :a piece of land subject to common use: such as

a :undivided land used especially for pasture

b :a public open area in a municipality

A food and jazz festival will be held at the town common.

Source: Merriam-Webster.com



  1. Often, commons. Chiefly New England. a tract of land owned or used jointly by the residents of a community, usually a central square or park in a city or town.

  2. commons. (used with a singular verb) a large dining room, especially at a university or college.

Source: Dictionary.com


Given your comment about their word beginning with "c" and ending with "post", your teacher may have made a historical reference to the Curia Hostilia:

The Curia Hostilia was one of the original senate houses or "curia" of the Roman Republic. It is believed to have begun as a temple where the warring tribes laid down their arms during the reign of Romulus (r. c. 771–717 BC). During the early monarchy, the temple was used by senators acting as council to the king.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.