For example, I entered my university in 2006, so I am a student of "grade 2006" (a direct translation from my own language). What is the proper English?

Besides, I need the word for students graduated in the same year, for me, 2010.


5 Answers 5


In English, or at least in the US, we normally group students by the year of graduation rather than the year of entrance. We would say you're part of the "Class of 2010." If we need to group by year of entrance, we would probably say you're part of the "Freshman Class of 2006."

  • 1
    Often abbreviated to "schoolname 'two-digit year", as in Yale '06
    – T.E.D.
    Sep 13, 2011 at 14:02
  • To clarify, one would ask the question 'What year are you?' (never 'what class are you?') with answer 'class of oh-six' or class of twenty-twelve'. Also, one only uses the number of the expected year of graduation so that 'Freshman, class of 2015' means that you're a freshman now in 2011 but will graduate in 2015 (the usual course of things for a 4-year college program).
    – Mitch
    Oct 7, 2011 at 13:41
  • In English universities it's more common to use matriculation year rather than graduation year. So Class of 2014 would be matriculating in 2014, and graduating in 2017.
    – Nick
    Apr 11, 2014 at 9:20

The word used for this within educational circles, in Britain at least, is cohort.

A cohort of students usually means a group of students in the same year on the same course, but could also be extended to wider groups such as all the students studying a course regardless of year, or all students in a single year group.

  • I was thinking of cohort too, since it's used for sociology
    – user10893
    Sep 13, 2011 at 15:43
  • I have also heard this in the US.
    – GEdgar
    Oct 7, 2011 at 15:12

I'd say you are an alumnus (to mean an "Old student"). The plural form is alumni (to mean "old students").

Unlike the usage "Class of 2010", the words Alumni/Alumnus simply mean old students of/old student of, without making any reference to the year of graduation. So, Alumni is open-ended. It refers to all the students who have graduated from the institution since its inception. You will have to specify it on the timeline by saying 'alumni from the year XXXX', or 'alumnus from the year XXXX' to refer to a particular batch or person from the institution's historical records.

If you graduated from an all-women's college, then the feminine equivalents alumna / alumnae may be used.

In commonwealth countries, the term batchmate is informally/semi-formally used to refer to your alumnus.

  • This doesn't answer the question.
    – AndyT
    May 17, 2017 at 11:53

Besides previously-mentioned batch, class, and cohort, the phrases "intake students" and "intake of students" are in use, the latter more commonly according to ngrams.


For your second question, I would call them your classmates.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.