I got an avocado featuring a canal in the middle. The canal is not really deep but still it splits the fruit in two distinct parts. What's the name of this shape? I think "ribbed" is an exaggerated term since it features only one canal.

And what's the name of that canal? Groove?

This avocado

  • 1
    I noticed there are many questions asking "What is the name of.. ?", including shapes. Example: elongated pyramid, so I thought it's ok to ask on this site.
    – Fructibus
    Commented Oct 31, 2017 at 21:09
  • 6
    I utterly fail to see why this was closed as lacking in research/general reference. How exactly is one supposed to search for the name of a thing whose name you don’t know? What commonly-available reference will give you a name for this shape without already knowing it? (As it happens, I am not convinced this particular shape has a name in English, at least not a common one. But that doesn’t make the question off-topic.) Commented Oct 31, 2017 at 21:28
  • 2
    It is bilobed merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bilobed.
    – Nigel J
    Commented Nov 1, 2017 at 1:05
  • 1
    Groove is a great description. I assembled an informal collection of words used by researchers to describe such 3-D patterns. Furrow and valley express similar meanings and are sometimes adopted to describe microscopic or mesoscopic features. Commented Nov 1, 2017 at 2:14
  • 2
    – Lawrence
    Commented Nov 1, 2017 at 13:13

3 Answers 3


I have personal experience of such an object – a kidney stone.

I had mine removed by lithotripsy in 1984.

Its technical description is bilobed.

Bilobed : divided into two lobes


On the other hand, it looks suspiciously like NASA's photograph of Phobos, the innermost of the two satellites of Mars.


  • You’re sure it was lithotripsy? :-)
    – Jim
    Commented Nov 2, 2017 at 3:29
  • @Jim I was the eighth person in the UK to get lithotripsied at St Thomas's. It was an experimental procedure back in 1984.
    – Nigel J
    Commented Nov 2, 2017 at 3:40
  • 1
    "In fact, I think this might well belong to me. I had it removed by lithotripsy in 1984 and I would like it back." __ After lithotripsy the stone no longer exist. Whether there is a fee for displaying its image is a genuine matter to be decided. However bilobed is an accurate description @NigelJ! Commented Nov 2, 2017 at 9:26
  • You might be partially compensated by my upvote @NigelJ. Commented Nov 2, 2017 at 12:46
  • No way is that pitted sphere a bilobed object.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Commented Nov 3, 2017 at 8:28

Avocados are OVOID in shape.

OVOIDAL has the same meaning, another word for egg-shaped. The crack that is visible on the fruit skin is called a ridge, a more precise term would be a longitudinal ridge

enter image description here

Figure 4. A. ‘Hass’ avocado fruit with a longitudinal ridge which C. Schroeder theorized was a result of incomplete closure of the carpel. Such fruit are often scarred on the ridge.

Source: Avocado Fruit Abnormalities and Defects Revisited

The "canal" or "groove" mentioned in the question, and visible in the image posted by the OP is known as a (shallow) longitudinal crack or crease,; deeper cracks that penetrate the exterior skin and expose the flesh may actually cause the fruit to split and spoil.

Source: Citrus Fruit-Cracking: Causes and Occurrence

  • The scholarly source article on avocado defects (pdf) makes fascinating reading @Mari-lou A. Commented Nov 2, 2017 at 12:48

It might be orbital bur I'm not entirely sure.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.