What's the word that could best describe the sound of a pebble (or pebbles) falling on a rock surface? Clack, tap, clank...? Thanks!

closed as primarily opinion-based by AmE speaker, choster, MetaEd Oct 31 '17 at 15:57

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


A continuous rattling of hard objects striking each other is often described onomatopoeically as "clattering". The term is well suited for either multiple pebbles or multiple contacts of one pebble with a rock. A single controlled strike of a single pebble would probably be better described as a "click" (for a higher, sharper noise, if the pebble and rock are both smooth, for example) or a clack or tap, as you wrote. "Clank" generally implies metal rather than stone.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.