I have been looking for a noun to represent a group of people who have enrolled at a university at the same time. So I have visited several links such as 1, 2, 3 and 4. So I didn't find anything useful. So, first, I need a help about that. Second, I need to improve the following sentence, which can solve the problem efficiently.

Although I have finished my education earlier than other enrolled students, I ranked among the top 5 students.

First of all, I am thanking who helps me and also I am looking for a native

  • 2
    You could try cohort – Jim Oct 30 '17 at 14:52
  • 1
    How about classmates? – Barmar Oct 30 '17 at 14:54
  • Also, you wouldn't say "I have finished", it should be "I finished" or "I had finished". – Barmar Oct 30 '17 at 14:55
  • Not sure about how technically accurate this is (so feel free to poach this for an answer if you've got references), but "class" or "year" are the nouns I've heard. – Ghotir Oct 30 '17 at 15:29
  • 1
    Why weren't the 4 other questions & answers helpful? Be specific. What words don't work for and why not? It would be nice to know so we don't have to start all other again. – Arm the good guys in America Oct 30 '17 at 15:42

I hadn't heard of 'cohort' used in quite that way, so checked my Chambers (English) dictionary, which reads: a tenth part of a Roman legion; any band of warriors; formerly, a division of plants; in the classification of higher animals; a group of individuals; a group with a shared characteristic especially being the same age; a companion or follower...

Perhaps you could use 'intake' as in that years intake?


Jim is right: The specific noun you're looking for is 'cohort'.

Regarding your sentence, I'd rewrite it completely, something like,

'I finished my course of study earlier than the other students in my cohort; what is more, I was one of the top five in my class.'

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.