I am looking for a concise way of saying or writing, "I am sharing my understanding about blah, in a hope to get corrected". The phrase "IMHO" expresses part of the idea, but does not necessarily imply that the speaker is seeking correction.

  • 1
    It does, on the surface, imply that the speaker wants to be corrected. Speakers can say a lot about of things without really meaning them. Speakers can also make indirect requests. I hope you correct me is an indirect request. It can be said ingeniously by someone who really doesn't want correcting, but then so can a lot of things. One can also say the imperative Correct me if I'm wrong, but... with zero interest in people actually correcting them. Oct 29, 2017 at 15:25
  • What's more important than actual wording is perceived speaker intention. If you think a person is sincerely inviting correction, then by all means do so, gently if necessary. Oct 29, 2017 at 15:30
  • If I'm not sure I'm correct I add the question "What do you think?" after my statement.
    – Al Maki
    Oct 29, 2017 at 16:54
  • What @AlMaki said. “Here’s my take. What do you think?”
    – Jim
    Oct 29, 2017 at 21:18

2 Answers 2


A common approach is to open with "Is this right?" and/or to close with "Is that right?"


You could say "... and I'm speaking under correction." To indicate that you may be wrong when you state something, another approach could be to say x,y, and z but to add "but don't quote me on this" at the end.

  • What is the opposite of preface?, I could not think of the word when you add something to the end of a sentence.
    – Neil Meyer
    Oct 29, 2017 at 17:18
  • Your suggestion doesn't seem idiomatic to me. Is it? Maybe if you included supporting evidence or a reference, if it's not too much trouble. Oct 29, 2017 at 19:32
  • @NeilMeyer I've seen the term "postface" used but only a few times.
    – Al Maki
    Oct 31, 2017 at 15:01

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.