A word for a medical person who specializes in one specific proceedure within a medical specialty?

closed as off-topic by Laurel, Edwin Ashworth, choster, Mari-Lou A, FumbleFingers Oct 29 '17 at 15:19

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests" – Laurel, Edwin Ashworth, Mari-Lou A
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    A specialist? – Jim Oct 27 '17 at 23:09
  • I was going to say a proctologist. – Hot Licks Oct 27 '17 at 23:15
  • @HotLicks - ouch. I’m picturing Chevy Chase singing Moon River. – Jim Oct 27 '17 at 23:27
  • circumcisologist ? – Mark E K Oct 28 '17 at 0:26

A subspecialist is a specialist of a subspecialty. In medicine you'll find subspecialization in several specialties. In cardiology, for instante, you have the electrophysiologist (the EPS guy), the cardiovascular pathologist, the arrhythmologist, the Lipid Specialist, etc.

From Wikipedia:

A subspecialty or subspeciality (British English) is a narrow field within a specialty such as forensic pathology, which is a subspecialty of anatomical pathology. A subspecialist is a specialist of a subspecialty. In medicine, subspecialization is particularly common in internal medicine, cardiology, and neurology, and has grown as medicine has become more complex.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.