I remember in graduate school a professor using a word that sounded like "Hypochoriate" that meant the erosion of a sound based on common usage. I think! I liked the word but can't remember what it was, or even if I'm remembering correctly.

  • Well, "hypocoristic" means "relating to baby/childish talk". Could this be what the prof meant? – Mark Beadles Oct 26 '17 at 16:06
  • That may be what he meant. I thought it was a specific term relating to the process by which a word, through usage, gets eroded into something shorter. He was probably speaking metaphorically, as Faulkner scholars often do. – mutt Pretty Oct 27 '17 at 10:17

The word in question might be


This term, hypoarticulation is not recorded in many dictionary sources. However it is used in some academic works English pronunciation in a globalized world

I think this word fits the question, although there may be others.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.