I'm wondering what each word that compromise a compound word is called. For example, You would say:

"Life" is the first ____ in "lifetime". There are two ____s in "lifetime".

Is the answer I am looking for simply "word", or is there another word for this?

Additionally, would a name be considered the same? For example, if someone were named "Hammerfist", would you say that this name is a compound word and would the same rule listed above apply here?

  • 1
    They are called 'bases'. – BillJ Oct 22 '17 at 17:45

"Lifetime" is a compound. "Life" is the first root in "lifetime". There are two roots in "lifetime".

See the definition of compound in SIL's Glossary of Linguistic Terms, which defines a compound as "a word containing a stem that is made up of more than one root."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.