What is the adjective form of "turmoil"?

Might it be "turbulent"? I have a feeling that that isn't it, though.


As simchona said, there is no adjective derived from turmoil, nor any adjective with a related etymology. So in the strict sense, there is no adjective form of the word turmoil.

For a word with the appropriate meaning, I would suggest tumultuous:

(adj) disruptive, riotous, troubled, tumultuous, turbulent (characterized by unrest or disorder or insubordination) "effects of the struggle will be violent and disruptive"; "riotous times"; "these troubled areas"; "the tumultuous years of his administration"; "a turbulent and unruly childhood"



Having checked the Oxford English Dictionary for turmoil, it turns out that it is derived from the Old French tremouille or mill-hopper. However, while there are both noun and verb forms of turmoil, there is no adjective which shares that etymology. So, I suggest turbid:

  1. not clear or transparent because of stirred-up sediment or the like; clouded; opaque; obscured: the turbid waters near the waterfall.

  2. thick or dense, as smoke or clouds.

  3. confused; muddled; disturbed.

  • makes sense now! – Thursagen Sep 12 '11 at 21:21

tumultuous can be considered the adjective form of both turmoil and tumult.

another alternative would be turbid which literally means "in turmoil or confusion"

protected by MetaEd Aug 30 '18 at 19:31

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.