What is the adjectival form of "turmoil"?

Might it be "turbulent"? I have a feeling that that isn't it, though.

3 Answers 3


As simchona said, there is no adjective derived from turmoil, nor any adjective with a related etymology. So in the strict sense, there is no adjective form of the word turmoil.

For a word with the appropriate meaning, I would suggest tumultuous:

(adj) disruptive, riotous, troubled, tumultuous, turbulent (characterized by unrest or disorder or insubordination) "effects of the struggle will be violent and disruptive"; "riotous times"; "these troubled areas"; "the tumultuous years of his administration"; "a turbulent and unruly childhood"



Having checked the Oxford English Dictionary for turmoil, it turns out that it is derived from the Old French tremouille or mill-hopper. However, while there are both noun and verb forms of turmoil, there is no adjective which shares that etymology. So, I suggest turbid:

  1. not clear or transparent because of stirred-up sediment or the like; clouded; opaque; obscured: the turbid waters near the waterfall.

  2. thick or dense, as smoke or clouds.

  3. confused; muddled; disturbed.

  • makes sense now!
    – Thursagen
    Commented Sep 12, 2011 at 21:21

tumultuous can be considered the adjective form of both turmoil and tumult.

another alternative would be turbid which literally means "in turmoil or confusion"

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.