All students graduated in 2014 can be referred to as "class of 2014", but what term is used to refer "all students" admitted in year 2014?


  • 2
    The class of 2018. Commented Oct 18, 2017 at 21:01
  • @Clare Thanks. I thought about this, but they do not necessarily graduate in 2018. In my program, people graduate for 4 to 7 years. In this case, is this still an appropriate term?
    – Tony
    Commented Oct 18, 2017 at 21:07
  • The 2014 intake. Commented Oct 18, 2017 at 21:34
  • Dear students, 2014 Freshman class, first term, frosh, entrant student body, they with hope?
    – Stan
    Commented Oct 18, 2017 at 21:36

3 Answers 3


Either "the class of 2018"* or "2014 matriculants."

* assuming the usual length of study to attain a degree is four years; in law school in the US it is 3 years, so for law school it would be "the class of 2017" instead.


A person who is enrolled as a student in a college or university.

from Oxford Living Dictionaries

The predictive validity of the MCAT exam in relation to academic performance through medical school: a national cohort study of 2001–2004 matriculants.

article in Academic Medicine journal

The 2016 matriculants of the Chemistry and Biochemistry Ph.D. Programs

City College of New York

For schools at which students do not all start in the same semester or term, the starting term may also be indicated--for example, Fall 2014 matriculants.


Perhaps you're looking for matriculants.

  1. A person who is enrolled as a student in a college or university.

It's not exactly as flexible as class of, but things like This year's matriculants is not uncommon, and something along the lines of matriculants from 2014 should be generally understood


In more general terms a group such as a 'class of [year]' is also a cohort. The term comes across as rather technical, however. You can also refer to a 'graduating class' without specifying a year. There is also the phrase 'this year's incoming freshmen' (if they are undergraduates). From the perspective of an enrolment department, e.g. in communicating internally about these students, the collective is termed 'this year/semester's 'intake'.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.