There's the word perpendicular when sticking straight up, but is there a word for "sticking up at an angle"? I mean, it's not particularly hard to just say "sticking up at an angle" but I wondered about this when someone just described something as "perpendicular-ish"; the exact context was an instruction about installing a sign upright but sloped backwards, not exactly at 90 degrees.


You could use oblique or obliquely

The nail was set obliquely in the wood.

| improve this answer | |
  • This answer works great, I'll just wait a day before accepting it. – jhocking Oct 17 '17 at 18:53

I would probably say "install the sign so that it is angled backwards by 2 degrees," but a term used for engineering is cant (noun, singular) which is a slope or tilt.

Random image:

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • I cannot say this word without thinking of Thieves' Cant :D – jhocking Oct 18 '17 at 20:12
  • verb: 1 Have or cause to have a slanting or oblique position; tilt. with object ‘he canted his head to look at the screen’ no object ‘mismatched slate roofs canted at all angles’ en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/cant – Kris Jun 8 '18 at 7:15
  • Not just engineering. – Kris Jun 8 '18 at 7:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.