Searching for a noun which describes the letter-casing of words, I came across casing (without a prefix) and capitalization. Searching several dictionaries and translation services, casing seems odd to me, as it refers to other meanings.
Because casing is commonly used here on the English Language 🙵 Usage SE to ask whether a word is capitalized or not, I'm still wondering whether casing is a valid alternative to capitalization.
Can I say something like:
- Please fix the casing in your text?
as alternative to
- Please fix the capitalization in your text.
Which one is more commonly used?
Here are some examples, where I found casing as a word referring to the capitalization of words:
- Who decides the casing of newly coined words?
- What is the correct casing when there are brackets involved?
- Title-Casing "ad hoc"
- What's the etymology of English letter casing terminology?
Found this one on wiktionary:
casing (plural casings) [...]
- (uncountable, computing) The collective states of upper and lower case letters. The replacement string should have the same casing as the matched text.