In longer form poems you sometimes see a verse where the first line is indented to the level of the end of the previous verse’s last line. For example, this Keats poem:

An image of a Keats poem showing the previously described effect

or this poem from Wordsworth:

An image of a Wordsworth poem showing the previously described effect

Is there a name for this indentation style?

  • 1
    The reason, of course, is that a new sentence starts in the middle of a line of verse. You see the same thing in Shakespeare's plays, where a character's reply to another finishes a line of blank verse. – Kate Bunting Oct 9 '17 at 8:28

Robert Bringhurst, in his seminal work The Elements of Typographic Style, calls these dropline paragraphs, which is apt if rather prosaic.

Scan of Bringhurst's description

| improve this answer | |

This website calls it the "Sli Indentation." I was only able to find this information from one source, so take it with a grain of salt.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Oh, cool, nice find. I’m going to leave this open for a couple more days as that’s quite a technical answer, but if no-one has any better suggestions I’ll accept this one. – Robin Whittleton Oct 8 '17 at 20:48
  • 2
    "Sli" is something used in Scribe Markup Language (ScML) meaning "Senseline indent". This appears to be a term only used in ScML. – Laurel Oct 8 '17 at 22:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.