I'd like to briefly describe a number of large objects that are half-submerged in a swamp, and nothing quite fits so far. Just "sunken" or the like might work in a pinch, but I thought I'd ask in case someone knows a word that quickly communicates that the objects are also clearly visible above the water.

  • 3
    Is there a problem with half-submerged? – Edwin Ashworth Oct 7 '17 at 23:05
  • For single-word-requests you are asked (if you look at the tag info) to provide a sample sentence of how the word will be used. I think in this instance that would be specially useful. – Spagirl Oct 8 '17 at 9:33

'Semisubmerged' appears to be a valid word, but not, I would say, a very elegant one.


There are words for movement half in, half out of, water - such as wallowing or floundering.

  • @EdwinAshworth 'The semisubmersible rig has an elevated drilling platform on top of a floating structure which is semisubmerged in the water.' I missed it, first time round, myself. – Nigel J Oct 7 '17 at 23:24
  • Good spot. It's semisubmerged in the small print. (I wonder why they feel it suitable to be used in an example but not to be listed?) – Edwin Ashworth Oct 7 '17 at 23:32
  • 'Twas only dredged up for this exercise. After today, it will be sunk without trace. – Nigel J Oct 7 '17 at 23:35
  • Semisubmerged is usually a technical term and implies, to me at least, that the thing was designed for that mode. I get the impression that the OP's objects are incongruous with the swamp. – Phil Sweet Oct 8 '17 at 0:42

Wading can mean partially immersed, but it implies motion.

... as though they had begun wading ...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.