What's the word for this part of an iron?

This is the part of an iron that I want to know the word for


According to this it is called the sole plate:

The sole plate, or base, of the iron is flat and roughly triangular in shape. The modern metal of choice for sole plates is aluminum coated with a non-stick material. The sole plate, which is heated and applied to wrinkled clothing, allows a user to concentrate on small areas that need extra attention.

Merriam Webster agrees. The Oxford English Dictionary adds that it was first used in 1744.

  • 4
    I was thinking to a longer word: the-part-you-should-not-touch.
    – apaderno
    Sep 9 '11 at 18:21
  • 1
    @kiamla: Also known as the owee-plate
    – simchona
    Sep 9 '11 at 18:23
  • 4
    @kiamlaluno -- my mom always called it the-part-you-should-not-touch- again .
    – Malvolio
    Sep 9 '11 at 22:06

Sometimes, it is referred to as the "flat" of the iron (although both "sole plate" and "face" are more common).


I would also understand this as the face of the iron.

It's hard to find evidence of whether this is an accepted usage or not, but a quick Google search does show some instances of the term being applied to this kind of iron.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.