I would like to know the name of a person who works with lasers and optical fibers? I have tried searching on google and asking people that I could get any answer from.

  • 1
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it has nothing to do with English Language and Usage. Sep 28, 2017 at 22:30
  • There doesn't appear to be any specific term for someone who works with or studies optics.
    – Simon B
    Sep 28, 2017 at 22:41
  • 1
    We're probably going to need a description of the work, because often it's what one does which is described, rather than the materials. Please edit the question to add that.
    – Andrew Leach
    Sep 28, 2017 at 22:54
  • 1
    Depending on what they are doing with the lasers and fibers, they might be "optical engineers". Sep 28, 2017 at 23:03
  • Narinder Singh Kapany was a physicist.
    – jxh
    Sep 28, 2017 at 23:41

1 Answer 1


The field is called "photonics". The person is a "photonics engineer", "photonics scientist", "photonics technician" etc. depending on what exactly they do.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.