There are terms which are used for describing cross-sections of human anatomy:

  • sagittal (dividing into left and right halves),
  • coronal (dividing into front and back halves) and
  • transverse (situated at right angles to the long axis)

I want to describe a mechanical system using similar terms. What are some general purpose synonyms?

  • 1
    Related: english.stackexchange.com/questions/400758/…, but I don't think a duplicate. Still, my bridge-engineering-based answer may be of use.
    – AndyT
    Sep 12, 2017 at 10:35
  • @AndyT This is great. Actually this answers two of the 3 terms I was looking for. Thanks.
    – Foad
    Sep 12, 2017 at 11:37
  • Medial cross sections through the X, Y, and Z axes (presuming these are defined for your model).
    – Davo
    Jan 10, 2018 at 20:47
  • Port/starboard, foreward/aft, above/below......
    – Spencer
    Mar 11, 2018 at 21:17
  • 1
    @Spencer dorsal/ventral as well
    – John Feltz
    Aug 9, 2018 at 12:04

1 Answer 1



something that has been cut in half so that you can see the inside.

Often used in engineering and mechanical drawings for describing inside of a system.

Cross-sectional views.

  • 1
    indeed, I have three different cross sections, but I don't want to define plains in my pictures.
    – Foad
    Sep 12, 2017 at 10:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.