Mary makes tea cups, tea bowls, vases and other __ware at the pottery workshop.

If it were just tea cups and tea bowls I could write teaware. However, vases aren't teaware.

What's the correct word to use in this case? (Say, if the stuff is made of clay?)

  • 2
    "Chinaware", perhaps?
    – BillJ
    Sep 10, 2017 at 7:27
  • 7
    Stoneware or earthenware, depending on technique
    – Stefan
    Sep 10, 2017 at 7:31
  • @Stefan Good suggestions! What if the stuff is made of clay?
    – alex
    Sep 10, 2017 at 7:38
  • You might want a 'products' after 'X-ware' for balance. Sep 10, 2017 at 8:59
  • @EdwinAshworth Are you sure? My construction seems to be more common: google.com.tw/…
    – alex
    Sep 10, 2017 at 9:03

1 Answer 1


In general, whatever material the dishes are made of, you can just add -ware to the end of the adjective that describes it:

  • clayware
  • glassware
  • paperware
  • plasticware
  • woodenware

This does not apply to stone (stoneware is actually a type of clayware).

Please note, though, that some of these are more common than others. For example, "glassware" is common, whereas "paperware" is not, and may sound too contrived in a casual context. In the case of clay, as Stefan mentioned in the comments, it's more common to call dishes "stoneware" or "earthenware", depending on how it was made. However, if you don't know what type it is, you can just call it "clayware" (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clayware).

  • Cray comes from the earth. So maybe it's correct to call it "earthenware"?
    – alex
    Sep 10, 2017 at 8:08
  • 2
    @alex No, earthenware refers to a specific technique for how the clay was fired (lower temperature). If you're not sure if that technique was used, don't use that word. Sep 10, 2017 at 8:26
  • 3
    Note that this answer does not match British English (which is not a criticism, but may be important to some). Clayware is unheard-of.
    – Andrew Leach
    Sep 10, 2017 at 9:20
  • 1
    @Andrew: Clayware is virtually unheard-of in the U.S., as well. Both stoneware and earthenware are relatively common (although I couldn't actually tell you the difference myself. Sep 10, 2017 at 9:59
  • Earthenware is the more primitive form of pottery (although Wikipedia says that people started producing stoneware nearly 4000 years ago, so it's not an advanced industrial technique). Sep 10, 2017 at 10:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.