I'm looking for a word that is the counter part to "controller". So far, the closest I can think of is "controllee", but that means something else. Any ideas?

closed as off-topic by Bread, JJJ, jimm101, choster, curiousdannii May 9 '18 at 8:58

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave these specific reasons:

  • "Please include the research you’ve done, or consider if your question suits our English Language Learners site better. Questions that can be answered using commonly-available references are off-topic." – Bread, curiousdannii
  • "Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests" – JJJ, jimm101, choster
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • maybe the control and the response – GEdgar Sep 7 '17 at 13:34
  • controlee (in analogy to employee) sounds fine to me; I'm not aware of any alternative meaning. – Oliver Mason Sep 7 '17 at 14:03
  • Depending on what you're controlled by, possessed is a possibility. – TTT Sep 7 '17 at 15:59
  • 1
    In what context, please? Can you give a sample sentence? – Robbie Goodwin Sep 8 '17 at 19:08
  • in many cases, the device is what is being controlled. – Jim Oct 7 '17 at 14:52

There's a lot of possible answers to this, depending on the context. If we're talking about people, puppet is a good term for someone being controlled by someone else. This is especially appropriate when the control isn't obvious, so the puppet master is controlling things "behind the scenes".

From a technical standpoint, I've also seen the word slave to refer to a machine or computer that is being controlled by another machine or computer. The commands are issued by the master computer, and carried out by the slave(s).

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.