When writing a CV or something similar, one often provides contact information to a person, who may be contacted for references about oneself (e.g. about work attitude or other qualifications).

What is the person, who provides the reference or testimonial, called?

edit: I did come by the term referee, but that does not feel right as I associate that more with sports.

  • 6
    Have you searched to see if other people frequently use the term 'referee' in that context? – Spagirl Sep 6 '17 at 13:41
  • 1
    See also: What does 'reference' mean in a CV? – MetaEd Sep 6 '17 at 14:43
  • 2
    If referring is the verb, a Referee is the one receiving the referring and a Referrer is the one who would be doing the referring. I don't understand the use of Referee for one who gives a reference at all. – MrWonderful Sep 6 '17 at 16:35
  • 4
    @MrWonderful - if A tells B that to find some information they need to talk to C, this action is a reference. A is the active party, and is therefore the referrer. B is the subject and therefore the referand (they have been referred to C). The reference given by A is a reference to C and C is therefore the referee. This is the original meaning of the word "reference" (1589 is the first citation in OED). The fact that in this specific case the information that C provides to B is generally called a reference is a modern corruption of the meaning (earliest citation 1895). – Jules Sep 6 '17 at 19:40
  • 1
    @Jules Thank you so very much for that elucidating reply! I feel enriched (as should the OP!) – MrWonderful Sep 6 '17 at 20:44

The person is your reference. Collins English Dictionary:

A reference is a person who gives you a reference, for example when you are applying for a job.

Example, made up:

Student to Professor: I'm applying to Brown for grad school. Will you be one of my references?

[Clarification: As the OP mentioned, a reference is also (see above link):

A reference is a letter that is written by someone who knows you and which describes your character and abilities. When you apply for a job, an employer might ask for references]

| improve this answer | |
  • 20
    Ooh, a circular reference. :P – Lawrence Sep 6 '17 at 14:17
  • 5
    Ha! The feelings of weighty references aside, you've now gone the whole hog :) . You can make reference to an attached reference from your reference to satisfy the interviewer's request for references. – Lawrence Sep 6 '17 at 14:25
  • 7
    @Lawrence public Reference Reference { get { return this.Reference; } } – Flater Sep 6 '17 at 15:22
  • 3
    @Lawrence And if you are mentioning a specific interviewer in an e-mail, you can make reference to an attached reference from your reference to satisfy the referenced interviewer's request for references. – ab2 Sep 6 '17 at 17:10
  • 2
    Oh dear, spirals indeed. :P – Lawrence Sep 6 '17 at 23:32

I grew up in the USA, and did some job-seeking in New Zealand.

The term "referee" is the typical New Zealand term that I heard, from sites providing locally-oriented resume advice, as well as from some colleagues.

In American English (from California, at least), "reference" is what I would expect. Indeed, "referee" sounded strange to my ear when I first heard it in NZ!

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    It seems bizarre to me that they'd use "referee," since you would expect it to work like "employee" or "payee" and refer to the party receiving. Not saying you're wrong; just totally bizarre to me. – Casey Sep 6 '17 at 16:55
  • I'm equally perplexed by local variants like "kerb" (curb, side-of-road-thing) or "school leaver" (recent graduate). There seem to be a handful of local dialectal quirks like that which aren't considered iconic, so they're not things that you get told specifically to adjust to (unlike the "fush 'n chups" pronunciation). – Ethan Kaminski Sep 6 '17 at 17:46
  • I'm a New Zealander, and I came here expecting the top answer to say that the correct term was "referee"... TIL that we're even weirder than I thought. – alphabetasoup Sep 7 '17 at 0:51
  • In BrE as well. – GeoffAtkins Sep 7 '17 at 15:30

I think in England people say referee. As an American, I say reference.

| improve this answer | |
  • 5
    Please consider including references (pun intended) to make this into a better answer. – AndyT Sep 6 '17 at 15:25
  • 4
    I'm English and have commonly heard referee, although reference is gaining traction. Perhaps it's an age thing. – Andrew Leach Sep 6 '17 at 15:41
  • 1
    I'm English also and have mainly heard reference used, I have seen referee a couple of times on documents and forms though. – RobbG Sep 6 '17 at 16:03
  • 1
    I hear it from friends and I'm a dinosaur (almost 40 you damn kids) so yeah maybe it's an age thing. However, there are tons of results when you google english referee reference; here's the first jobs.ac.uk/careers-advice/cv-templates/1536/… – jhocking Sep 6 '17 at 18:19
  • 1
    In Australia, referee is also fairly common but reference also occurs - not just recently; I heard it decades ago - and would be understood more broadly than it's used (as would referer) – Glen_b Sep 6 '17 at 23:03

How about referrer? Wiktionary describes it as:

A person who refers another.

| improve this answer | |
  • Yeah, but it sounds extremely strange to start talking about referrers, or referents, in this context. – Casey Sep 6 '17 at 16:54

Reference can be used to refer to both the person providing a testimonial and the testimonial provided by that person.

Referrer only works if the person is involved by introducing you to a company as a candidate for a position.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.