I can't think of any word to describe the action when a child make his/her hand motion like waving to say that something is not what he/she means. Please, give me some suggestions. Thank you for your help!

  • Can you give a picture? Or link to video even better? – Mitch Sep 3 '17 at 12:09
  • That is called waving off. It signals dismissal or recantation. – Phil Sweet Sep 3 '17 at 16:08
  • 1
    Is this an “erasing” motion in the air indicating, “No, No, you’ve got it wrong, erase that and try again.” – Jim Sep 3 '17 at 16:20
  • This sounds similar to the mediterranean gesture of the index finger extended and waved from side to side, meaning 'No'. – Dan Sep 3 '17 at 21:10
  • Well, it's more like Jim's description. I think the mediterranean gesture that Dan is talking about is best described with the verb 'wiggle one's finger'. I think 'gesticulate' that Mustafa suggested is the word I'm looking for. Thank you all. I really appreciate it. – user74319 Sep 4 '17 at 2:22


to make movements with your hands or arms, to express something or to emphasize what you are saying
Cambridge Dictionary

She expresses herself better and does not gesticulate so violently.
The Choice of Life


In general, he made a gesture of dissent (see dictionary definition and sentence).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.