Is there a verb that describes a situation where one communicate their meaning incorrectly or in a way that is difficult to understand? Something like "misconvey" or "misexpress" (I know these are not actual verbs)

  • 2
    Welcome to ELU! What have you found? What research have you done? – marcellothearcane Aug 27 '17 at 6:33
  • 1
    "Speaking" is pretty close. – Hot Licks Aug 27 '17 at 12:59

miscommunicate to fail to communicate clearly, fully, or accurately; to communicate incompletely or inaccurately. (1)

It was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in June 2002 as a new word (2). It apparently originated in the early 20th century (1).


(1) https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/miscommunicate

(2) http://public.oed.com/the-oed-today/recent-updates-to-the-oed/previous-updates/june-2002-update/


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.